The sanctuary resolution

Honorable Mayor and Homer City Counsel Members
I am opposed to the 'inclusion' resolution a.k.a.  as the sanctuary city resolution.
I have three main reasons:
1. We cannot seem to find enough money to shelter or adequately feed vulnerable homeless teens let alone more people. So where are you finding money for sanctuary for homeless people from other countries who most likely cannot speak English?
2. In Homer and surrounding areas, many people already cannot find winter jobs. Where are you planning to find them jobs? Or are you planning to tax us for new city employees or more welfare?
3. Have you asked the police department, fire department, state troopers, Haven House and other facilities what they think of your resolution? Do we have adequate school facilities and teachers to teach language and cultural norms? Where are you going to find money to support these refugees until they can speak English well enough so they can find jobs and suitable housing?

With all due respect, I understand your empathy for these poor refugees but the city nor the state can find money deal with problems (drug and homelessness) we already have. And the State is looking at income taxes and/or state sales taxes to further burden our Homer citizens. Let's not burden them further.

Respectfully,
Diana Shadley

These emails are public records obtained by the Homer News. Actual email addresses have been obscured.