Santcuary cities?

Chief:

Several council members will introduce a resolution at the Feb. 27 meeting that some are calling a "sanctuary city" resolution. I've attached a draft. I'm not fully up to speed on the concept, but as I understand it, some cities have passed ordinances saying they will not cooperate with Immigration and Customs Enforcement regarding undocumented immigrants.

The key provisions in this resolution seem to be these sections: "Be it further resolved that the City of Homer will resist any and all efforts to profile undocumented immigrants or any other vulnerable population" and "that the city of Homer will cooperate with federal agencies in detaining undocumented immigrants when court-issue federal warrants are delivered."

If I understand this, it says police would cooperate with ICE or other federal authorities in serving warrants, but at the same time, the city will not identify undocumented immigrants. I think some cities  will search ICE records when contacting people.

Anyway, I have these questions:

• What is the Homer Police policy on identifying people contacted during police business? Which databases do you search? APSIN? Warrants? Anything else?

• Does APSIN include information on foreign visitors wanted for crimes, I.e., Interpol, etc.?

• Do Homer Police seek to identify a contact's citizenship in the course of a routine contact?

• In the case of an arrest, do police seek to identify a defendant's citizenship as part of the arrest process?

• How many cases in your experience has HPD investigated regarding illegal or undocumented immigrants? I know there have been criminal investigations regarding foreign nationals, as for example the Canadian wine thief, but I'm thinking specifically of foreign nationals who might have overstayed their visas or entered the US illegally and come to police attention.

Thanks for your help.

Best,

Michael Armstrong
Reporter