From: Joy and Sometimes Ian Overson [mailto:ijqoverson@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2017 4:13 PM
To: Tom Stroozas <tomstroozas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Donna Aderhold <DonnaAderhold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Shelly Erickson <shellyerickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Heath Smith <HeathSmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Department Clerk <Clerk2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Catriona Reynolds <CatrionaReynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; David Lewis <davidlewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Dump the resolution- Sanctuary City

In regards to the Sanctuary City resolution, this is a very reckless move by three of our council members. It is literally just a retaliation move against Trump. They aren't even thinking of the ramifications. Say this does happen and we do have illegal immigrants come into town. How will they work? They're illegal. How will they support themselves? Are these council members asking our business owners to hirer illegals, which is in fact, against the law?? In no way can our city afford to support illegals in our current financial state. Never mind the fact that we have people and children within our own community that could really use help. If Homer was to take this stance we can say "bye" to any federal funding of any sort as we would be breaking the law allowing the sanctuary of Illegal immigrants. I am truly for a diverse and unified community and I believe Homer has done a great job at that. This resolution would wreak havoc on what is, currently, a harmonious community. Asking citizens to go against our elected president and break laws is wrong on so many levels. We all come from immigrants in one form or another. Immigrants aren't the issue, it's the illegal status that is wrong. We have many reasons for the process and it should be respected. As a Homer citizen, tax payer, and voter I will not stand for ANY council member using their elected position to make stances such as this in the name of the people of Homer. Leave that to the protestors. Your time and energy should be used to focus on the problems Homer is currently facing. Debt, homelessness, 55 kids in foster care, and  drugs in the community. These would be worth while and widely accepted areas of focus.

Sincerely,

Joy Overson

Sent from my iPhone