FW: Resolution 17-019

From: Trisha Davis [mailto:deadfallmtn@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:53 PM
To: Mayor Email <Mayor_Email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; citymanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Resolution 17-019

Mayor Zak,

Thank you for the intent of the City Council regarding Resolution 17-019 and the grace displayed when the Council came under fire.  I doubt anyone of you thought the evening would be so difficult; I surely didn’t.

Not a resident of Homer proper, I attended the meeting on the 27th of February as an interested person, an observer. The depth of emotions expressed came as a surprise to me. Reading the proposed Resolution, I found nothing offensive so I can only conclude it was a carry-over from the leaked, unofficial version. In truth, I am not a fan of the current president—but even I was disturbed by that original document.

As an observer last night, I tried to figure what made so many so mad. I kept hearing one person after another say they were offended that the Council thought so little of them. I believe it is human nature to believe we are better people than we probably are or what others may think. If kindness is a virtue, then of course, they are kind and if bias is a negative word, then we distance ourselves from those who wear that label.

I heard statements about the damage done to the community, the divisiveness that now exists and thought if this Resolution—which so many felt was instructive—could, instead, be RECOGNITION or AFFIRMATION of the quality of Homer citizen’s character, everyone would be busting their buttons and doing their best to live up to it. Yes, I know that is not all of what you were trying to accomplish. (I was thrilled with the prospect of Homer becoming a Sanctuary City) But, perhaps, this could be the balm offered to sooth the many hurt feelings and allow harmony to return to our greater community.

I salute you and those who strive to serve. As you know all too well, you’ve chosen a difficult path that can never meet every person’s expectations and will be challenged many times before you are through. Let your hearts lead you and your minds light the path.

Respectfully,

Trisha J. Davis

These emails are public records obtained by the Homer News. Actual email addresses have been obscured.