From: Catriona Reynolds <CatrionaReynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, February 27, 2017 at 8:33 AM
To: Shannon Riddle <skemp@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: David Lewis <davidlewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Donna Aderhold <DonnaAderhold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Resolution 17-019

[External Email]

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for your questions. Feel free to call if you would like to dig in deeper.

What led to the resolution?

I had been working on one myself, to emphasize the value of a welcoming and diverse community. I learned that Councilmembers Aderhold and Lewis were sponsoring one along the same lines. The original version that was offered to Councilmembers Aderhold and Lewis was drafted by Hal Spence of Citizens AKtion Network (CAN)

Was it a specific event in or near Homer that led you or the others to feel it was needed?

No. All politics are local, there are many examples of new legislation across the nation that are damaging to minority populations and my hope is to say "not in our community".

Are there many immigrant families in Homer?

Yes. Many, not necessarily easy to profile or identify because they would mostly be described as white.
Are you asking specifically about immigrants whose status has lapsed? That I don't know how to quantify; yes they are here and for obvious reasons are not able to identify themselves in this conversation. I was undocumented for 4 years in the early-mid 90s, I am now a citizen.

If the resolution isn’t passed, what is the key message you’d like to leave with the people of Homer?

I would like to encourage empathy for all our community members, particularly the most vulnerable as they have the most to overcome in order to flourish..
To those who feel fearful of "illegals" or don't understand the challenges faced by minority populations I would say, "Equality can feel like oppression, but it's not. What you're feeling is just the discomfort of losing a little bit of your privilege."

Do you think Homer is now a welcoming and tolerant city, or is there need for much improvement?

Homer does OK in many ways right now; in any community there is always room for improvement.

Catriona Reynolds
Homer City Council Member
4658 Tamara Street
Homer, AK 99603

(907) 299-3410

PUBLIC RECORDS LAW DISCLOSURE:
Most e-mails from or to this address will be available for public inspection under Alaska public records law.